Dear Students and Parents/Guardians:
We wanted to make you aware that the Program of Studies is now available online. Students and parents can access the Program of Studies by visiting the school website, selecting the Guidance tab, and then the sub- tab entitled "Program of Studies." There could be a few minor changes this week so please check the website to be sure you are referencing the most recent version. Here is the version posted online (please note file name is dated 1/26 in case an updated version is posted).
There are a few changes in the course scheduling process for next year:
- There are prerequisites listed in the Program of Studies for many of the courses. Prerequisites are intended to give students the recommended placement for next year so that they can be most successful. Teachers will be recommending students for courses in X2 based on the student’s performance. Students and parents may override a teacher’s recommendation using the Override Form on p. 82 of the Program of Studies. All overrides should be submitted to Guidance no later than the last day of the 2014-2015 school year.
- We added two new AP Courses (AP Statistics and AP Art History) this year to the Program of Studies. These Advanced Placement offerings would bring the school’s total number to 14, a program that continues to measure the success of our students compared to other students across the United States.
- Several electives eliminated last year have been brought back into the Program of Studies, such as Young Adult Literature and Journalism.
- New electives have been added to the Program of Studies, including Advanced Theatre Arts, Literary Magazine, Intro to Computer Science, and Intro to Italian.
- The Career and Technical Education Department is hoping to add electives in Culinary for next year. You will see a new look to the vocational component of the Program of Studies focused on career pathways.
The timetable for course scheduling is as follows:
- 1/26-2/12- Students should discuss course offerings for next year with their teachers and guidance counselors in school. Parents are encouraged to review the Program of Studies with their child and ask their child’s teachers or guidance counselors any questions. Teachers will begin entering recommendations for students into the X2 Gradebook in February. Our goal is to have all teacher recommendations in Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, English, and Foreign Language completed by .
- 2/23-2/27-After February vacation, all students will sign up for any other classes, including electives and other requirements, online through the X2 Portal. Teacher recommendations will be automatically inputted into a student’s schedule requests for Social Studies, Science, ELA, Math, and Foreign Language courses. Other courses students will select on the X2 portal.
If you have any question about your child’s schedule for the 2015-2016 school year, please contact your child’s teacher and/or guidance counselor who can best assist you.
Mr. Braga, Ms. DiGioia, Mr. Harrison, Ms. Peters, and Mr. Kelley